Planning a date night? Promised to cook something special? I’ve got you covered. This is the most romantic salad you can plate up, and having it on a share platter makes it even more special. The combination of flavours are sweet, peppery, tangy and nutty. Serve it on a share platter, with tuna or salmon steaks, eye fillet steaks or chicken breasts on small single plates. It works beautifully with champagne, or even better – a chambord royale (chambord liquer with champagne). We had it with a cocktail of chambord, vodka, soda water and mint leaves. Never forget the candles and music. Your romantic evening awaits.
- 9 strawberries, halved
- A few handfuls of spinach and rocket mix
- A handful of walnuts
- Half a block (approx. 40g or so) of blue cheese, chopped into very small chunks (don’t go cheap on the cheese – splurge the good stuff because you don’t need a lot and your loved one deserves a treat)
- Balsamic glaze (you can buy this in a squeeze bottle at most grocery stores now for about $6)
- 2 tsp good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp high quality olive oil
(If you can’t get balsamic glaze, then 1.5 x the amount of balsamic vinegar and olive oil and add 1/4 tsp of brown sugar to the dressing)
Swap the blue cheese for goats cheese. I wouldn’t swap for feta, though – while I love feta it would be the wrong flavour profile for this meal. Add some sliced red onion. I suppose you could add some sliced chicken which had been marinated in balsamic vinegar if you wanted, but I love it just as it is.
- Toast your walnuts over a hot frypan for a minute or two until golden brown, then remove them from the heat.
- Drizzle a zig zag pattern of balsamic glaze on a share platter/plate (if you don’t have one like mine, then just use a round plate between the two of you)
- Drop a few handfuls of spinach and rocket mix on top of your balsamic glaze, then top with strawberries, walnuts and blue cheese.
- Mix the balsamic vinegar and olive oil (and brown sugar if you don’t have balsamic glaze). Using a teaspoon, slowly drizzle the amount that feels right over your salad. Light the candles, pour the drinks and serve!