This meal is not pretty. At all. It is, however, delicious. Sometimes I want pure comfort food but I don’t want to feel bloated and guilty afterwards. This meal hits that spot. And more. Plus it has stupidly high amounts of protein. I can’t emphasise enough how much you need to cook this meal. It tastes so so naughty but is so so nice.
- 800g chicken breast, diced
- 4 rashers of shortcut bacon, fat removed and diced
- 2 leeks (white part only), sliced in half length ways then sliced thinly
- 2 stalks celery, sliced thinly
- 1 head of broccoli, chopped into small florets
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 2 tsp tarragon
- 6 serves of basmati rice cooked with some turmeric in the water, to serve.
- Brown the leek, celery and bacon in a small amount of oil until the leek is transparent, the celery softens and the bacon browns.
- Add garlic, cook until fragrant.
- Add chicken to pan and brown.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine
- Stir the cornflour into the chicken stock until there are no lumps, then add the mix to the pan.
- Stir in the tarragon and parsley.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 30 minutes.
- In the final few minutes, blanch the broccoli to ensure it is cooked prerfectly (I hate soggy broccoli). To do so, bring a pot of water to the boil seasoned with some salt, add the broccoli and boil for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until the broccoli is bright green and floating. Then remove, drain and pop into some ice water for 20-30 seconds to stop the cooking process and drain again.
- Add the broccoli to the mix and stir through.
- Serve over rice. Top with additional parsley if desired.
- Lick your bowl clean.
Amount Per Serving
- Total Fat8.9 g
- Saturated Fat2.6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat1.2 g
- Monounsaturated Fat1.6 g
- Cholesterol85.0 mg
- Sodium492.6 mg
- Potassium783.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate34.1 g
- Dietary Fiber5.3 g
- Sugars3.0 g
- Protein41.0 g